My referrals from the pediatrician are coming in for Jp’s year three evaluations. Today I spoke with the new speech therapist that I found for him, who seems nice (of course) and has that same signature sing-song voice that seems to be a professional requirement of women in the trade (double of course). She is new to us because the original one that I chose, I chose for her stellar reviews with no regard to proximity thinking we were just going for a short time getting a jump on expressive language that was a bit lagging. I literally drove longer to and from the appointments than he actually spent in them. Ouch. What a dummy, right?
For my newer followers, Jp was in speech for 6 months last year. Though at his 6 month evaluation he had oddly mixed scores. This being that his expressive was much higher than his receptive (which was only a few points out of severe then). So, when it came time for insurance to approve us…they came down with the verdict that with “in range” expressive he would not qualify. Color me furious.
The out-of-pocket cost was obscene and we had to make a decision whether I should A) go back to work to pay for it and thus putting my mere-points-out-of-severe receptive delayed child into a childcare system that may or may not be able to handle him with his unique difficulties since he was 2 percentile points from qualifying for ECI (Early Childhood Intervention in our state) or B) saying a prayer and teaching him as much as I could on my own and taking the summer to have some fun and work on social development.
We chose to keep him home since socially he is so far behind and, at the time, could not follow a simple direction to save his life. That would not bode well for “Circle Time” if you know what I mean.
Now that he is three, it is time for his reevaluation. I am a tiny bit apprehensive and a little scared. I can hear how far he is compared to other children but that and hearing actual test scores in black and white is different. It is truly unnerving to watch them take the tests and not be able to prompt or gesture. And as for the results: do I want him to do well and risk insurance pulling the financial plug again even though it takes even a ridiculously untrained ear to hear that he would benefit from the extra help? But if he does poorly…then I failed as his “teacher”, didn’t I?
All I know is that he has come so far in these last few months. I mean, he can really communicate. We are not talking full-on conversations but he can clearly and easily express his wants and needs and from 3 months ago that is major progress. MAJOR.
I still see the receptive being more the issue and that worries me for testing. Is this our vicious cycle? Forced to go in every 6 months and hope (as crazy as that sounds) that his expressive is bad just enough for insurance to pay for the receptive help that he needs? Who knows? I am getting ahead of myself (as usual). Whatever will be, will be and we will find out what that is next Friday.
Stay tuned for tears of joy…or just tears. 😉
I'm just living minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day.